Appointed by Cecil County Executive with County Council consent to 4-year terms:
Michael R. Pugh, Chair (chosen by Board in April, 1-year term), 2019
Martha Barchowsky; Joseph Brant; Mario J. Gangemi, P.E.; Raymond W. (Chick) Hamm, Jr.; James F. Reynolds; Matthew G. Roath; Carl D. Roberts, Ed.D. Terms expire 2019.

Ex officio: Christopher P. Moyer, Director, Cecil County Office of Economic Development

Ex officio (nonvoting): R. Michael Gill, Secretary of Commerce; Ellington Churchill, Jr., Secretary of General Services; Robert C. Brennan, Executive Director, Maryland Economic Development Corporation; Michael K. Day, designee of Director, Maryland Historical Trust; Alan J. McCarthy, D.V.M., Cecil County Executive; Wayne L. Tome, Sr., Mayor, Port Deposit.

Donna P. Tapley, Executive Director
Toni L. Sprenkle, Project Coordinator

P. O. Box 2
748 Jacob Tome Highway, Port Deposit, MD 21904 - 0002
(410) 378-9200

Annual Report to Governor, General Assembly, Dept. of Commerce, & Cecil County Executive & County Council due by Oct. 1 (Chapter 306, Acts of 2008; Code Economic Development Article, sec. 11-421).

In June 1999, the Bainbridge Development Corporation was established as a public instrumentality of the State (Chapter 494, Acts of 1999). The Corporation works to develop the Bainbridge Naval Training Center.

The Center's origins trace to the Tome School for Boys founded in 1894 by Jacob Tome. Originally located on Main Street in Port Deposit (Cecil County), the School expanded from 1898 to 1902 to the bluffs of Port Deposit, erecting an extensive series of granite buildings, which overlooked the Susquehanna River. When the School closed in 1941, its buildings along with the land of 70 surrounding farms was acquired by condemnation by the federal government as the site for the U.S. Naval Training Center Bainbridge, which functioned from October 1, 1942 to March 31, 1976. Thereafter, from 1979 to 1991, the site was used by the Susquehanna Job Corps Center, and in 2000 transferred to the State of Maryland, which subsequently placed it under the responsibility of the Bainbridge Development Corporation.

The Corporation is authorized to accelerate the transfer of the site to the private sector. The Corporation may acquire, construct, develop, manage, market, reconstruct, rehabilitate, improve, maintain, equip, lease, repair, and operate any project at the Center which closed in 1976.

The Corporation's Board of Directors consists of fifteen members. Eight are appointed by the Cecil County Executive with County Council consent. Seven serve ex officio (Code Economic Development Article, secs. 11-401 through 11-421).

Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance

Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright July 02, 2018 Maryland State Archives